Questions for Art Students
Published Wednesday, 2 January 2002Questions to Consider
1. By portraits I do not mean the outlines and the colouring of the human figure
but the inside of the heart and mind of the man. Lord Chesterfield
1747. Examine this statement and discuss it in term of a critical analysis of
art, particularly portrait painting.
2.Give an historical account of the Archibald Prize.
In your account you could consider: -
how styles may change through time
attitudes of the public may change
controversy generated by a decision
3. Explain how symbols, metaphors and allegories are used in art. By looking at
the artists in ARN2 explain how a particular artists uses the figure to
represent particular ideas and feelings.
4. View and compare the quick time videos of the artists Euan Macleod, Graeme
Drendel and Deborah Klein.
Examine how these two three artists produce images in different styles
employing different methods. Articulate the differing approaches to their part
5. Flesh is the reason for the invention of painting.Willem De Kooning
The American Abstract-expressionist said this about figurative painting. It
refers to the importance of the figure in art. Do you think the figure is an
important subject in art? Explain why?
6. The depiction the human form is and has been an attempt to explore and
articulate the human experiences found within the parameters of private and
Discuss in terms of the artist approach to artmaking and the dominant themes
7. Select one of the artists in ARN2 compare and contrast their treatment to
the figure to another historical artists.
8. There are different genres concerning the figure such as: -
Select one of these genres and develop a historical account in annotated
diagrams and pictures.
9. Imagine you are the critic for a major public newspaper. Write a critical
review on one of the artists as the basis of your writing you can concentrate
on either the artist's: -
Response to artmaking
Acknowledgment to the history of art
Critical review of the subject matter used.
10. Give an account of the artmaking process of one of the artists?