Indigenous Arts gets a shot in the arm
Published Friday, 27 June 2008Peter Garrett promised an additional $1.6m of funding to regional arts projects. (June 2008)
Arts Minister, Peter Garrett announced $1.6 million worth of additional funding for indigenous arts.
The following grants have been promised:
- In New South Wales: $25,000 to Arts Northern Rivers, Alstonville, to upgrade arts facilities for local Indigenous artists
- In South Australia: $138,500 to assist Tjala Arts at Amata in the Anangu Pitjantjatjara Yankunytjatjara Lands to construct a new art centre
- In Western Australia: $50,000 for Martumili Artists in the East Pilbara to upgrade its art centre by providing essential staff accommodation
- In the Northern Territory: $250,000 for the Ikuntji Community Inc at Haasts Bluff to extend and improve the infrastructure of their growing arts centre
- In Queensland: $65,000 for the Bynoe Community Advancement Co-operative in Normanton to build work space for an extra 25 artists
- In Victoria: $25,000 to enable East Gippsland Aboriginal Art Co-operative, Bairnsdale to deliver governance training and professional development for artists.
Sourced from a Press Release