Archibald Prize-Winning Portrait by Craig Ruddy donated by the artist to Gold Coast City Gallery (Nov 2010)
Published Tuesday, 23 November 2010Patrons visiting The Arts Centre Gold Coast are stopping in their tracks to view the Gold Coast City Gallery’s latest acquisition Prince of Darkness, Warwick Thornton by Sydney artist Craig Ruddy.
The striking backlit portrait is a very generous and significant gift donated by the artist himself. Craig Ruddy won the 2010 Archibald People’s Choice Prize for this portrait of writer/director Warwick Thornton.
Welcoming the work to the Arts Centre Gold Coast was Art Gallery Committee Chairman Patrick Corrigan who had helped to facilitate the gift.
The placement of the work beside the Arts Cinemas is significant as the portrait’s subject Warwick Thornton, was the writer and director of Australian feature film Samson and Delilah. The film was Thornton’s debut feature film and won the Caméra d'Or for Best Feature Film at the 2009 Cannes Film Festival, as well as six AFI Awards, including Best Film and Best Director, along with numerous other prizes.
Ruddy was inspired and motivated by Thornton’s raw, honest film making after seeing Samson and Delilah. ‘Warwick’s strong social consciousness drives him to fearlessly tackle society’s darkest issues head on,’ he says. ‘In a dignified and sensitive manner he carries us deep into the belly of darkness yet holds up a lantern that leads us through to the light. His film gives a voice to a lost generation who find themselves at the end of a long dark tunnel.’
In 2004 Craig Ruddy was awarded both the Archibald Prize and the People’s Choice for Sydney and Melbourne exhibitions for his popular but contentious portrait of actor David Gulpilil. The portrait title – Prince of Darkness - refers to Thornton’s nickname – given to him as he often films using as few lights as possible.
Born in Sydney in 1968, Ruddy studied design and fashion illustration and worked as a commercial art director before his true passion for drawing and painting emerged in 2001. He now lives and works in Sydney, Buenos Aires and Rio de Janeiro. He has had four solo exhibitions in Sydney and one in London and has been represented in various group shows.
His most recent solo exhibition, Imago opened on Friday night at Gallery One, The Brickworks on the Gold Coast and runs till 5 December.
© Discovery Media 2000 - 2011. To syndicate our stories call 61+(0)412 477 556.
- "Identity: Indigenous Art of the North Coast" at the Grafton Regional Gallery (July 2008)
- $10,000 2005 Montalto Sculpture Prize and Exhibition was won by David Waters.
- 'Kooralong Moorndaan - Before Creation' - New works by Shane Pickett in Paris (2006)
- Blot on the landscape by John Kelly.
- Découvrir, Rêver, Investir...L’art Aborigène d’Australie, an exhibition of Aboriginal Art at the Australian Embassy, Paris, 2005.
- the unquiet landscapes of Rosemary Laing, at the Museum of Contemporary Art, Sydney. 23 March – 5 June 2005.
- 2007 - View the best of the Bombay Sapphire Design Award in Perth.
- 21st (2004) Telstra National Art Awards.
- A festival of indi art in downtown Melbourne (May 2007)
- Aida Tomescu wins 2003 Dobell Prize for Drawing.
- Animals and Birds - Brett Whiteley.
- Anne Landa prize on display at the AGNSW (May 2011)
- Anxious Bodies - Jane Burton, Pat Brassington, Jane Eisemann.
- ARI’s – Emerging Artists break out! (2007)
- Art Prizes news for October 2008
- Art Project Australia
- Art Right Now's Festive Fibre: mats, baskets and banumbirr from Arnhem Land exhibition - 2005
- Asialink Residencies - Up To 40 Australian Artists To Live And Work In Asia (June 2007)
- Ben Sheppard on show, May 2006.
- Caitlin Street is the winner of the 2005 ANZ Visual Arts Fellowship Award
- Caravaggio on show this summer @ AGNSW and then the NGV
- Chaco Kato weaves a spell.
- Christopher Hodges On Reflection at Utopia Art Sydney.
- Djirrirra Wunungmurra was named the winner of the $15,000 TOGART prize (June 2008)
- Drawing Together - a new art award with a value of $82,000 commemorating the 1967 referendum.
- Emerging artists wanting to participate in the Splendid festival read on...(May 2011)
- Exhibition of 'Spirit Country – Pays des Esprits', in Paris, 2006.
- Exhibition of Arts d'Océanie at Galerie DAD to coincide with the opening of the Musée du Quai Branly in Paris (2006).
- EXHIBITION OPPORTUNITY - Art at Burnley Harbour(October 2008)
- Experimenta Playground - August 2007
- Finalists for the 2008 Helen Lempriere National Sculpture Award announced.
- Forthcoming Australian art auctions for the Winter 2008 season.
- Gathering memory - exhibition by Lorraine Connelly-Northey at Gallery Gabrielle Pizzi, 2005
- Gelam Nguzu Kazi - Dugong My Son, Exhibition.
- Gertrude Contemporary Gallery - May 2011
- Get Into Art!
- Gloria Petyarre - leaves & awelye, Utopia Art Sydney.
- Grand Marnier/Powerhouse Museum
Fashion of the Year 2002 selection announced.
- Great Fences of Australia exhibition at the Art Gallery of New South Wales
- Helen Eager's exhibition "New Directions" in Sydney at The Depot Gallery 2, October 2005.
- Helen Lempriere National Sculpture Award cancelled for 2009.
- Jacky Redgate: Life of the System: 1980 – 2005 @ the MCA
- Jody Broun wins the 2005 Canberra Art Prize
- John Kelly on review at the McClelland Gallery + Sculpture Park, 2006.
- John Kelly's "3 Cows in a Pile" on site in London, August 05.
- John Kelly's "There was an Australian, an Englishman and an Irishman . . ." on show at The Piccadilly Gallery, London (2006).
- John Mawurndjul at Gallery Gabrielle Pizzi, December 2007 - Review
- John Nelson takes home $30000 as the winner of the Waterhouse Natural History Art Prize 2006
- Jonathan Jones wins the Xstrata Coal Emerging Indigenous Art Award at the QAG.
- Juan Davila at the MCA - 2006
- Karlee Rawkins wins the 2003 Brett Whiteley Travelling
- Linden Postcard Show 2009
- Lisa Roet Wins the $100,000 McClelland Award 2005
- Lorraine Connelly-Northey essay (June 2011)
- Making Space - spanking the hand that feeds it (June 2007)
- Making Space in June - Melbourne's Artist Run Initiatives' program (2007)
- Maningrida Threads
- Marc Newson at the Powerhouse
- MCA appoints David Broker as Primavera 2002 Curator.
- Narrbongs - Lorraine Connelly-Northey @ Gallery Gabrielle Pizzi (May 2008)
- National touring Peace Helicopter project heads to Melbourne
- O'Possum Skin Cloaks And Narrbongs - Lorraine Connelly-Northey at Gallery Gabrielle Pizzi (2007)
- Paddy Bedford at the MCA (2006/2007)
- Parallel Visions
- Patrick Freddy Puruntatameri at Alcaston Gallery, 2006.
- Patrick Mung Mung and Betty Carrington at Gabrielle Pizzi, November 2007
- PICASSO - The Last Decades
- Play Now Act Now Winners Announced - 2007
- Powerhouse Museum announces new award for innovators.
- Primavera - 2006
- Proud 2005 at the Victorian College of the Arts
- PUMPUNI JILAMARA - Tiwi Art
- Puulway, Wik & Kugu Totems by the artists of Aurukun @ Gallery Gabrielle Pizzi, August 2007
- Random Access and the Montalto Sculpture Prize.
- Redlands Westpac Art Prize (November, 2010)
- Redlands Westpace Art Prize short list announced (Nov 2010)
- Review of Colour Power - Aboriginal art post 1984 at the NGV.
- Review of Matthew Johnson's exhibition "Peregination" at Christine Abrahams, and Martin Parr's "Common Sense" at Niagara Galleries, October 2005.
- Rio Tinto working with the AGWA (April 2011)
- Robert Klippel - a tribute exhibition to Australia’s greatest sculptor at the AGNSW.
- Robert Salzer Foundation grants $300000 to the Public Galleries Association of Victoria.
- Ron Mueck @ the McClelland Gallery (August 2008)
- Signature of M - Celebrity art auction raising money for homeless youth (June 2008)
- Simon Terrill wins the $10,000 2005 KPMG Tutorship Award, in Melbourne.
- Susan Norrie at the AGNSW
- The $10,000 Ranamok Glass Prize for 2006 has been awarded to Cobi Cockburn for her entry Shifting Fields.
- The Nude in the Art of John Brack (December 2006 - March 2007) at the McClelland Gallery + Sculpture Park in Melbourne.
- The Premier's Design Awards 2006 – Winners Announced
- Tiaras with a Twist
- Tracey Moffat on show at the MCA this Summer.
- Tracing the Shadow - Hossein Valamanesh Recent Works
- True Stories: Art of the East Kimberley
- Wall-to-Wall Art: 2009 Chapman & Bailey Artworkers Award
- Watiyawanu & Western Desert Art: Melbourne 2004
- Wedding photography that won't be a pie in the eye.
- Winner of the Metro 5 $40,000 Award Anounced
- Winners for the 2010 Gold Coast Indigenous Art and Design Award
- Winners of Proud 2005 announced.
- Winners of the 2010 Parliament Aboriginal Art Prize
- You've got to see the excellent 2004 Australian Design Awards at the Powerhouse if you're into design.
- Young Designer of the Year Award winners announced at the Powerhouse Museum, Sydney.
- Zonal Marx - an exhibition of drawing at the Victorian College of the Arts (2007)